Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Believe What You Want To Believe In





In one of my favorite movies, “Secondhand Lions” there is a dialog that really resonates with me.  The quote comes from Hub McCann who is giving a speech: “What every boy needs to know to be a man” to Walter.  It was in response to Walter saying: “I don’t know what to believe in.”
“If you want to believe in something, then believe in it. Just because something isn’t true, there’s no reason you can’t believe in it. Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage and virtue mean everything; that power and money mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; that true love never dies. It doesn’t matter if they are true or not. A man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.”

The line within the quote that strikes me is “believe what you want to believe.”  I like the entire quote but this line epitomizes how I think we should approach some of our key beliefs.  We should not base our beliefs on what is fashionable or politically correct but on how we want something to be.
Everyday we are faced with incomplete information and it is implied that we need to make a decision or change our position on a given subject; I don’t subscribe to this theory.  For example:  There have been times in my life when I was told derogatory things about my parents.  Like Walter I did not know what to believe and really was at a loss on how to react to the information.  So I choose to believe what I wanted to believe and not let something that may or may not be true change my impression of my parents.  This has helped me deal with people who attempt to challenge my beliefs highlighting a snapshot event to seed doubts about a person or organization.  
This philosophy applies to any number of subject areas but is not carte blanche.  One still has to make decisions based on facts but a single data point does not need to result in a course correction on your beliefs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment