Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Patriotism

It is the guy in the middle

With age comes wisdom and an understanding of things that are nether clear or important when you are young.  From 1982 to 1988 in Clinton, Oklahoma I would attend Rotary meeting every Wednesday at noon.  We would start the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance and singing of the National Anthem and I would scan the room looking for them.  You could always pick them out and at the time I just knew there were different, I was never sure why. They stared at the flag during the Pledge of Allegiance, their eyes were moist and then bodies ridged, standing very straight and proud.  They hands would cover their heart almost reverently, they knew or felt something that I did not share or understand but I wanted to.  

A few years later I joined the United States Air Force, economic times were tough in Oklahoma, post oil boom and I needed a way to make a living.   It was nineteen eighty-eight and I was 34 and Oklahoma was in a depression.  I would like to think I joined the Air Force for strictly altruistic reasons, patriotism and apple pie.  The truth is I always liked the idea of serving in the military, I was never quit sure what they did when there was not a war… I grew up during the Vietnam War and the military’s reputation took a beating during this time.  My Sister was in the military, my Dad had served in Korea but I never really could see my self in a uniform… and just as important I was not sure what I would be doing?  

I quickly learned that in the medical field you basically do the same thing in peacetime that you do during war, the only change is where you do it.  I ended up serving in the AF until 2008 when I retired.  We raised three children along the way, living in far off places like Spain and Turkey.  I served one tour in Iraq and believe in my own way that I made a difference.  I came to admire the people I worked with and appreciated their sacrifices for both country and family. 

I am not sure when it happened but somewhere along the way, I realized that those men back at the Rotary Club were all prior service members or had family members who were.  There is something that happens when you serve in military, you gain an appreciation for the men and women you are following, you have a feeling of great satisfaction.  You start to understand that you are a part of something very great and you represent something very important, you are a part of American history. 

As I grow older it seems that lump in my throat comes more often and often brings a tear to my eye when I see or hear something patriotic.  I know the United States has made many mistakes but I will always believe “we try to do the right thing for the right reasons.”  I am very proud of my country and would only hope you feel the same way about whatever country you hail from.  Written in Hanoi, Vietnam 2013.     

No comments:

Post a Comment