Thursday, January 14, 2021

What is one of your favorite children's stories?

 I am assuming this question is based on “my” childhood memories and what I liked as a child and not my favorite children’s story as an adult?  So with that assumption, “Jack and Jill” is the first story I remember.  In first grade, we read this story to learn how to read, that is my first recollection of any children’s story.  I don’t ever remember any of my Grandparents, parents or siblings ever reading to me as a child.  In addition, compared to my own children, who  grew up in house,  where there were bookshelves filled with books, I don’t remember seeing any books until I got to kindergarten.  I don’t think we had the money and I know my parents did not have the time.  In addition, the only baby sitter I remember, is my Aunt Norm, and reading to children was not the standard at that time.   If you think I was deprived you are wrong, those were completely different times.  We lived next to a creek and a marsh with acres to roam and discover.  I would go outside and explore…spending hours outside playing in the marsh and in the big culvert down the road that had crayfish and a variety of critters for my brother (Terry) and I to play with.  One of my favorite memories as a kid was in the spring eating wild strawberries along the road.

They were small and so sweet and free for the picking…Whenever I eat strawberries today I think of the taste of those wild strawberries and wish today’s berries would taste like the ones I had as a kid…   My personal all time favorite children’s story as an adult is “Make Way For Ducklings” by Robert McCluskey.  I am positive reading to your children is very helpful for many different reasons but encouraging them to explore outdoors on their own is just as beneficial.  

Jack and Jill went up the hill 

To fetch a pail of water

Jack fell down and broke his crown

And Jill came tumbling after

Up Jack got, and home did trot

As fast as he could caper,

He went to bed to mend his head

With vinegar and brown paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment