My guidance on what qualities I value in people is extensive and for the most part what I try to live by. I must say I have failed on occasion and it haunts me for years when I don’t follow my own rules. Case in point, when I was an undergraduate I needed money and borrowed some money from my high school football coach, Jerry Ayres. I cannot remember how much it was but when I borrowed the money Jerry told me that he would lend me the money but I needed to keep track and pay him back as I could because he had children that needed to go to college as well. I paid him back but I did not keep good records and cannot be sure I paid him all of it and since I was suppose to keep track I could not ask him if I paid it all, this crosses my mind more often as I get older.
Do what you say you are going to do… if you tell me you are going to do something, get it done, if something changes let me know.
If you borrow something return it, if it breaks you pay to have it fixed and return it the way it was when you borrowed it.
If you use my truck put gas in it before returning it and don’t Cowboy the equipment. What this means is treat my stuff with tender loving care. My Dad is the one who coined the phrase “Don’t Cowboy the equipment.” It means go easy on equipment and don’t push it to the point of breaking.
Always pick up the phone when I call or send me a text that says, “I can’t talk right now.”
Call sometimes just to check in and say hey, don’t only call when you need something.
Respect for each others opinions and beliefs… don’t tell me that there are topics “political, religious or social” that are off limits.
Pay your way, when we eat out I will always pay if that is what you want but it goes a longways with me when the costs are shared but I will never expect you to pay.
Have empathy for those that do not have as much as you do, help them and don’t judge them.
No comments:
Post a Comment